Are migraines ruining your life? Do you need to take time out from day-to-day life due to migraines? Are you looking for a natural solution? If so, you are in the right place! There are various lifestyle choices that may lessen the frequency of your migraines or headaches. Homeopathic remedies are very useful in dealing with migraines or headaches naturally.
A Migraine Diary
It is worth keeping a migraine diary to record as much detail as possible regarding your migraine. This would allow you to see patterns you didn’t even think of. As a homeopath I always want to hear as much detail as possible, because that would tell me which remedy is a match for your migraine. It would be helpful to notes some of the following:
- Time of day onset started
- Where is the pain? Did it move?
- What makes it better, what makes it worse
- If you are a woman, where are you in your menstrual cycle?
- What makes the pain better?
- What makes the pain worse?
- Your stress levels before the migraine
- Are there any emotional/physical event that might have triggered the migraine?
Lifestyle choices can play a part in reducing the frequency of migraines, so can constitutional homeopathic treatment.
- Keep regular sleeping hours, even on weekends and holidays
- Unwind at the end of the day: read a book, have a relaxing bath or listen to soothing music
- Keep your bedroom free from electronics: watching television or scrolling on your phone before bedtime is not going to help you get a good night sleep
- Eat regular meals and don’t skip meals
- Keep a food diary to identify food triggers
- Get regular exercise
- Manage your stress levels
Here are 7 remedies and their most relevant keynotes:
- Headache over eyes (most likely left eye) or forehead extending to occiput
- Worse for any movement, even moving the eyes also coughing or sneezing
- Better for eyes closed
- Better for pressure, holding the head or lying on the painful side
- Dry mouth
- Headache starting in occiput or neck radiating to the forehead
- Head feels heavy can hardly lift it – feels as if the neck cannot support the head
- Significant fatigue and weakness in the body
- Emotional trigger: anticipation, fright, bad news or excitement.
- Frontal headache with nausea, vomiting and chills
- Blurred vision before the onset of the headache
- Worse for light, noise and menstruation
- Better for lying in the dark
- Headache can feel like ‘hammers beating the head’
- Worse from light, sunshine and reading
- Worse before or after your period
- Better from lying in a dark, quiet room
- Better for cold application
- Headache worse from light, mental activity or before your period
- You may feel great irritability, impatience and possibly anger
- Mostly left-sided headaches, especially over the left eye
- Worse for not eating, menopause or before or during your period
- Better for movement/exercise
- You may be irritable and don’t want company
- Excruciating headaches, generally above or through the eye or orbit may radiate to occiput
- Worse from noise, open–air, touch
- Worse smoke and tobacco
The potency and frequency of taking remedies would be individual to each person. Speak to your homeopath, or book an acute consultation with me if you need help.
Other blogs you may be interested in: